I began my day with a need to accomplish something. I felt pumped and full of energy, and decided the best way to make good use of the ‘bounce’ was to clean! Harumph! 30 minutes into the process, regret kept rearing its ugly head, but I plodded on with my chores (note the change from ‘bounce’ to ‘plod’). I managed to get through the tedious processes with a little help from mr.java and some upbeat music. Suddenly it came to me! Pain deserves a treat and what better way to soothe than through chocolate. That, and I promised a friend a chocolate cupcake recipe. Win – win I say! So if you’re looking to indulge, without feeling too guilty, you’re on the right page!
Prep time: 20 min| Cooking time: 15 min | Makes: 18
- 3/4th cup + 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup fine sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour milk **
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot strong black coffee **
Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
Add the milk, brown sugar (make sure to break up any lumps before adding), egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well till all ingredients are combined.
Add the hot coffee and stir till incorporated.
Pour into prepared cupcake pan with liners. Bake for 15 minutes, till tester inserted into middle of a cake comes out clean.
Frost with a decadent chocolate cheese frosting and garnish with a few shavings of sweetened coconut or crystallized ginger.
CHOCOLATE CHEESE FROSTING
- 125 gms low-fat cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing/powdered sugar
Blend the cheese with 2 Tbsp milk to form a smooth paste
Add the cocoa and remainder milk and whisk/beat till smooth
Add the powdered sugar in 2 batches, mixing till fully incorporated.
Frost the completely cooled cupcakes with a spatula or with a piping bag.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND TIPS:
- Sour milk – 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/2 cup milk
- Use 2 Tbsp instant coffee to 1/2 cup hot water
- for a thicker, firmer frosting add more icing sugar to suit desired consistency
- Use 2 batches of this recipe to bake two 8″ cakes and make a beautiful stacked cake for a special occasion like a birthday! Use 3 batches of the frosting to cover the top, sides and as a filler.